When your friends become your clients

Hi,
Was wondering what people do with friends or family that ask you to do work for them. Am I supposed to charge and if yes should i give them a break? Also what happens when they keep telling you that they want to change their design and when they tell you to keep fixing things for them…? i know there’s the regular back and forth but sometimes it can get really out of hand… Was wondering what people do in such a situation.

i appreciate any feedback since i am dealing with such a situation now.

Thank you!!

Hi!
I keep on being asked to do small jobs for my friends and family. As I’m not professional yet (still studying) i have till now agreed to do everything to gain experience, but soon enough i quickly saw that it is no point because they will totally take advantage of you! (as you are experiencing!) so for now i have completely stopped taking on jobs for completely free, and have started to ask for small payments which really works, because i am still getting enough small jobs to get experience but the friend/ family member gets the feeling that i’m not willing to be taken advantage of. To help your situation now, I would advise you to just openly tell them that the job is taking up too much of your time and if they want further design work it comes with a price…
Hope this helps!

I agree with Malky- it’s important to charge. Firstly, a given, since it gets very out of hand especially when you’re running your own freelance business. And secondly, if you do it for absolutely nothing, you’ll end up dreading all the work you do for them. I do lots of work for my brother, and I tell him that if I wouldn’t charge, the work I do for him won’t be motivating and worked on like all my other clients work. So it’s for his good;)

It’s a sticky topic…
I once read someone who impresses the value of what they’re giving by giving invoices to their friends/family, and including the discount on it. Even if that discount is 100%, it shows them what the cost price is of what they are getting.

Personally, I find it very difficult to work with family and friends. Sometimes you just have to do it. (Obviously I’ll make anything my parents ask…) But whenever I can, I refer out. I’m upfront about it, I tell them it’s hard to work with friends and for the sake of our relationship I would prefer to help them find the best match for them. I also tell them I’m here to answer any questions they might have, and that they should please ask me for help along the way with opinions and advice.

As for discounted rates, this is a service-based business, which means you are trading your time for money. You can’t just order more time like a storeowner can order more stock, because your family used some of it at cost-price. It’s hard to run a business and actually be profitable on discounted rates. I think we understand that, but not everyone does :slight_smile:

I would charge, but you can have a specified discount for family/friends. If you don’t charge you will definitely be taken advantage of…