Visually Pleasing?

A question came up in my graphic design course…
How do we decide what is aesthetic, or visually pleasing, since that is really different for each person. What if what I like my client doesn’t like, or someone else doesn’t like?
Any thoughts?!

I would say it’s up to the designer to design according to her style. The client might however choose to ask for changes, which can then be adjusted, ultimatley changing what the designer feels is pleasing to the eye to suit her clients taste

I think that it’s really an individual decision. I have had this come up with clients and it’s very frustrating! Why can’t they like what I like? I think reality is that people don’t all have the same taste and are going to like different things. It’s hard to finalize a design that you personally don’t love but I found that it’s part of the job… and the client is always right. Right?

I would say depends on the situation. Sometimes I make peace with the fact that the design isn’t exactly my taste, but there are times when what the client wants is something that I feel isn’t contemporary or professional… In such cases I explain to the client why I wouldn’t want to do that- I usually make a sample to show them and compare to designs which are more professional, and explain the differences. Usually in such cases, the client ends up agreeing with me. And if not, I know I did my best! The main thing is that the client knows that your goal is client satisfaction.

I find there is generally a common denominator or a base level for good design, even if taste differs on top of that. Meaning, you might make something for a client that isn’t what you’d pick, but you’d still consider it something that was produced by a professional. Differentiating between personal taste and good design is definitely a learning curve!

Ideally, the design is targeted toward their audience and is in line with what their audience is expecting (or for their goals, etc) and that is a good way to frame it and can help.

I like what Chava said as well :slight_smile:

I have had customers show me styles that they like beforehand but I don’t recommend it because then you’re limited to a specific style. When a customer isn’t happy with it I usually have to redo it but I find that it happens when they see a design they liked and want to replicate it. In general I find that customers believe in their graphic designers work.