Putting your name on your designs

Hi! I’m wondering how you feel about putting your name/number/website on ads you design. I have seen highly professional designers who do, and also many who don’t and I’m curious to hear people’s views on it. I have conflicted feelings about this so I would appreciate any input! Thank you!

I think that if you’re happy with the results of your work, than definitely stick your email on there! Free advertising!

I think it is absolutely fine. Of course it should be somewhat subtle, and differentiated from the rest of the design. For example, you could put it vertically running up one side, which photographers often do. Or along the bottom, in a small, light, easy to read font that is obviously different from the rest of the design. If you want to keep it simple, you can create a signoff like
“Designed by graphix.com” so people can visit your website and see all your info, without having to clutter it on the design itself.

Another thought is that if you end up giving people you know, or non-profit community type organizations, designs at discounted rates, you can do so in exchange for putting your contact info on, or some other type of promotion for yourself. This is especially useful if you are trying to build a portfolio or a client base; you can offer to do a design for free for a shul for example (if you have the time!) in exchange for promoting yourself somehow on the design…

Thanks so much!!

I know… I also feel conflicted in this area! But I’ve noticed the bigger ad companies all seem to put theirs on. You see gcnymarketing.com, bottomlinemg.com, etc on everything in the magazines. So it seems to be typical in that industry. I do think it should be as short as possible, like just an email address or just a website.

Thats true- thanks!