Programs to use for photo editing

Hi, anyone knows if professional photo editing can be done just in photoshop of if i need to use any other programs like lightroom? also what is camera raw? i heard the term but im not sure if its a program or a tool in photoshop, if anyone can explain i would appreciate it.

Professional editing uses mostly lightroom and a bit of photoshop. It could be there are some photographers who use photoshop more but lightroom is designed for basic touchups on photos. Photoshop is more for serious stuff like head swaps etc.
Raw is a setting on the camera where it retains most of the data and therefore if you mess up the lighting a bit, you can often salvage almost everything. It also uses up a ton of memory. I personally don’t bother with raw although there are some photographers who may be horrified to hear that!!
Good luck!

Can you give me some examples of what lightroom offers that photoshop doesn’t? I find that with all the filters that photoshop has, it really does a great job. I’m just wondering if lightroom really can do a better job than photoshop.

I think it depends what you get used to! i think photoshop technically has all the things you can do in lightroom, but It’s probably just simpler in lightroom - personally i only use photoshop

I also thought photoshop was better because it has everything but I like that in Lightroom (classic) I can edit multiple pictures at once. I feel like photoshop is needed for bigger types of jobs like taking out backgrounds, adding in people…etc.

I think it’s true that you can use a lot of cool filters in photoshop and some people will only use photoshop for everything, but as Malky says - lightroom is simpler and faster. you can do batch edits - say changing the white balance or exposure to hundreds of pictures at a time, and ideally, the clever things you need photoshop for should be rarer - i.e, most of the time you want most of your pictures to be basically ready for printing straight out of camera, with just quick fixes here and there - in lightroom you have the whole folder open and ready and you (ideally!!) are just skimming through, making a few tweaks, with one or two special shots taken into photoshop to be made wow…
p.s. imagine editing a wedding with 3000+ pictures and doing them one at a time in photoshop…!!!