Payment

Hi,

How do I deal with receiving payments? Do I not release the files until I receive payment?
It’s so difficult to keep running after people to pay up…

Any ideas??

Its a hard one but a little bit how it goes. I would say depends on the client if they are a steady and frequent client that you know well and that does pay. Otherwise, some people split the payment x% upfront and the rest on completion.

I agree- it’s acceptable to ask for payment according to the progress of the project if it is a large project or before sending the final files to print, especially if this is a client with who you do not have experience.
A contract detailing the terms and conditions is useful for the client to sign as you avoid awkward emails and refer to the doc he agreed to,

In any case, would definitely get a deposit upfront, I have personally encountered a few unpleasant payment situations even with people I knew (though not so well, and first time clients!)
You can also send low quality, web quality files for proofs and critique etc., but not provide the high quality, finalized for print version until they pay the full amount. Like Zippy said, a contract, even if relatively informal via email, is very helpful to avoid unpleasant confusion, and that way you have documentation of any agreements…