Organizing tags

Hi! Im working on a website now that has over 500 tags. How am i meant to remember which tags to use on each post. It is important that each post is tagged correctly and not missing any relevant tags. I don’t want to delete tags as they help with the search results… Any ideas??

I’m confused here. If they are using so many tags, and they usually post and select tags, what part are you playing in tagging?

the client himself doesn’t really understand how to tag. I am helping him add in new posts and we both don’t know how to tag correctly…

Someone else did the tagging previously…

Then ideally, they’d do a tag audit. Get all the tags, go through them, reduce, re-tag posts, add redirects for removed tags. But that’s a big job.

If they won’t do that, there’s no reason why you should know the correct tags to use.

ok thanks! i think they will do that…

and is tags the only way to make search results on the search bar in the site work with more searches?

Tags help, so does good categorization. A good search plugin also helps! If they’re not using one, Relevanssi is great. That plus their ajax live search plugin.

ok thanks. is it free?