Is working in interior design always "9-5" job?

Is working in interior design a “9-5” job or will it almost always go overtime?

It really depends on where you are working. If you are working for yourself, you will be setting your own hours, and you may be meeting with clients outside of 9-5. When working for yourself, you will need to pace yourself and be organized, because it is easy to put a lot of hours and end up working overtime.
If you are working in a showroom it will be more of a 9-5 job. If you are working for a design firm, it can also be 9-5 for the most part unless you are working on a large project with a deadline, and then there may be times where you need to stay on longer.

Working in a firm is typically a 9-5 job; most firms expect you to put in extra effor and hours if a project is nearing a deadline.
Working on your own, you’re able to create your own hours, but you will feel an obligation to get all the work done to perfection for your client so you will usually put in even more hours to accomplish that.

I agree with @DGoldberg!
I’m doing both, and I find myself completing freelancing projects a lot quicker…
It is usually a 9-5, but not all firms expect you to put in extra hours…

It is best to first work for a firm to get experience.
It is difficult to find clients if you don’t have experience

1 Like

That’s true, @FGaida_exceed. But sometimes neighbors / friends… social media contacts will reach out and look for your services… There’s no right or wrong way to go over here.

1 Like