I need help saving with bleed marks

I need some help here.
This is what my document looks like in indesign
This is how I am saving it

This is how it comes out
Does anyone know what I am doing wrong??? Is it ok?
Thanks!

This is exactly how it’s supposed to look.

You’re doing great!
In the top pic, the purple line is the margin, the blue line is the edge of the document and the red line is the bleed area.
When you saved it, you included crop marks, which show the printer where to cut the paper that just the bleed will cut off and you’ll be left just with the document.
If you need also bleed marks, to show the printer which is the bleed area, just check the box above of bleed marks as well.
Sometimes printers want just crop marks and sometimes bleed marks too!

Isn’t it supposed to look like this?

when i select also bleed marks, it doesnt even reach the edge.

It looks like your crop marks are just within the bleed, instead of projecting out. You can play around with the settings like the offset sizing etc

If you follow the bleed mark line along, it shows the printer the edge of the bleed…

How much should the offset be set to?
I am doing work for another designer, and she tells me that it is wrong. However, she can’t figure out why it is coming out this way, and doesn’t really have time to spare to see what I am doing wrong.
What do you mean by “If you follow the bleed mark line along”

If you check the bleed mark as well (right now you only have crop marks on) you’ll have it also outside the color. At the moment your marks are showing the page and the bleed is extending beyond it

This last image is with both the bleed and the crop mark selected

Adjust the offset to a higher amount. I think standard is .125 but I might be wrong. That should fix it

Top, bottom, left and right usually should be the same amount…you can change in document settings.

i was taught to match the ‘Offset’ value to the bleed amount so if you want 0.425 inch bleed make offset 0.425 inch as well and then the marks will sit just outside, never had complaints when i do like that.
(generally i do bleed but dont include crop marks as most printers i work with dont like them)

Thanks everyone!!

In the end I sent them with both bleed and crop marks, and it turns out it was incorrect, but now it is too late :grimacing: !

But I still think that it is important to get to the bottom of this…
It seems like everyone is saying different things. I am slightly confused.

The standard offset in indesign is 0.0833 in.
Has anyone else heard to match it to the bleed?
And why would I select crop marks when I want bleed marks?

Printers I worked with said the offset should be set to .125. I’ve been told that the indesign preset cuts too close to the edge so a tiny bit of the design at the edges gets cut off.
Never had an issue and I’ve always done it like that.
I usually use crop marks and rarely use bleed marks. Crop marks show the printer where to cut it, so they usually only need those.

I use both crop and bleed. .125 inch is correct, that is what we learned in the prep for print course

I am still having trouble with this…

Both the bleed and the offset are set to .125. Why doesn’t the mark reach the edge?

make sure this is on

It is… :frowning:

What do you mean that the bleed and the offset is set to .125?
Schlomith’s screenshot shows the right settings, I mean mine has the same!
Weight 0.25pt and offset 2.117mm and then the marks cut through the bleed to the edge of the page.

Have you changed another setting aside from this dialogue box?

Screen Shot 2023-12-05 at 14.35.56