Hard Drive Recovery Advice (posting on behalf of a student)

Question from a student:

My hard drive with all my work fell and does not work. I looked into many recovery options, and the in lab options, which are the most secure, are really really expensive, like minimum $500. Do you know of any cheaper options? I saw some software that I can purchase and do it at home, but I’m a bit nervous about it.
Does anyone any experience with this at all or any advice they can give?
Thank you!

OY :frowning: Good luck!! Hard drive issues are never fun :frowning:
You can try D H Data Recovery in Brooklyn, NY - 347-492-3258
If that doesnt work, please reach out again. I recall somewhere there being a Data Doctor that will only charge if they can fix the harddrive. But I dont think they send it back to you after if they cant.

Hi,
I’m the one that had this issue, just want to give some info on it.
I looked into a lot of places, and they all charge from $1500-$2500, depending on the damage. Many of them charge only if they fix it, some charge for evaluation as well. I was in Israel recently, and I know that they charge a lot less for service in general, so I took it along. If anyone ever needs data recovery where there is no physical damage, I would recommend it, they charge alot less. Even with physical damage, the price was $930, which is still too high for me, but cheaper than in the US. For now, I’m just leaving it (I don’t think the time invested is worth that much.) If anyone has cheaper options, please let me know!

Thanks for the update, good to know!