Graphics or motion graphics?

Hi,
I am currently studying graphic design, but I’m thinking of switching over to motion graphics, because i tried it out and I really love it! I’m just nervous that I will have far less job opportunities doing freelance motion graphics than doing graphic design. Can anyone please advise me if there is a need for motion designers/ animators in the Jewish community?? or will i be wasting my time by studying it?? and if there is, is the pay for motion graphics higher than that of graphic design? or same/ similar?
thx!

I can’t imagine the need for it is greater than graphic design, realistically.
That said, in general, if you’re really good at what you do (loving it is a good indicator!), there’s usually a job for you somewhere!
Try tagging Adina and see if she can chime in…I don’t know this field well.

I have to agree with Peninah, I don’t think there would be a huge demand in the Jewish community, while graphic design does always seem to be in demand within the frum community. But also not so familiar with the field so can’t say for sure…
Maybe it make sense to finish with graphic design first since you are in the middle of it, and then you an always continue with motion graphics after… just a thought.

Just saw this question, Im not going to touch on the graphic design aspect of it as that you see all around you. I find there is a big need for motion design, and the need is going to keep growing. If you go to any dinner/function/ fundraiser etc. all of them will have videos. Look on any social media page, linked in, facebook, twitter, instagram etc. you will see videos promoting all content. So yes while some will be done “homemade” the same way some companies will do their flyers “homemade” too. There is a growing need for professional work. Within the Jewish world, take a look at chofetz chaim foundations videos, torah umesorah’s videos, the siyum hashas had half its program on video etc. Majority of them are being done in Premiere and After Effects. Outsourcing video content to a non jewish company is very hard to keep the “ta’am/feel” that most organizations are trying to give over. Any videographer that I have been in contact with has always told me they would be thrilled to take on a student who is skilled and willing to grow!

Thx! do you think i should take the design alive motion graphics course? is it thorough enough? and if i do take, it, is it worth taking the graphics design course as well??

well I am a bit biased because I teach part of it! But yes the students come out with a very fluent knowledge of the program and field and many of the students are working in the field already. Graphic design is not necessary for MGs. but Photoshop and Illustrator are.

I’ll chime in here – I think design theory is important for any field in design, including motion graphics. So if the motion graphics course doesn’t teach that, you’d get it in graphic design, and you’d just apply it to MG.

I don’t know how much overlap there is in this field. For example, web & graphics have a lot of overlap. Some people never do both, but for many positions, it’s a big advantage to be adept at both.