Giving open files for free

I have a client who I’ve done a project for, who now wants to move over to someone else so she can pay a lot cheaper. This is a big project and I did the first part of it so technically the second section and onwards is following on from this.

She asked for the open files because she claims that she paid for the design.
Do I give it to her? I told her I don’t really give out open files.

Can you please advise if you have experience with this!

Thanks.

You might find this thread helpful:

Open files can be charged for, I would explain that the same way you go to a restaurant and buy a meal for X amount, if they would be giving you the recipes the value of the recipe is alot since you wont be coming to buy that meal anymore.
I’ve heard in the past you can charge 40%-60% of the original price but others can chime in with what they think

I like the restaurant example puts things into perspective!

I wish I could charge 40 - 60%! (I would make back the money that I totally undercharged her for :)))
But she’s going to say to me that what did I pay you for originally?
and that there’s no way she can continue with someone else without my open file…
Originally she did tell me that she’s going to continue with me for the whole project but now she decided I’m too expensive…

I would say stay firm and confident and say it niecly
Maybe something like, usually I charge x% for the files but as a gesture of goodwill I will only charge % for the file.
You can mention that you did mention you wld be working together on the full project and now you are pulling out in the middle and therefore its only fair…

What she paid for was the design, not the files.
I would say as above about the gesture of goodwill etc… and charge a bit less then you originally quote but you should not need to give it over for free!!

@adinacahn That’s such a clever way to explain it!!
Thanks!

It really depends what kind of project,
I agree with the 40-60% more figure; the bulk of the work is in normally in the beginning stages…
Uch so stressful :woozy_face: Hatzlocho!

It’s an illustrated book.
My question is though - if I charge for the open file, who gets the money, me or the illustrator, because technically her work is also now usable?

Isn’t it the illustrators choice as well if she sends you her open files?

Did the illustrator already finish her job? It’s not like they’re not going to continue using her just because they got the open file.

If you hired the illustrator and she was paid what you were supposed to pay to her then I dont see why any more payment needs to be given to her

Coming back to this - thanks for your replies…

Client is using someone else to complete the rest of the project but because she is using someone else the person needs to change my design to her new design.
So she wants the file so that she can give it to her new graphic designer to edit.

She couldn’t understand why I would be charging her? She said she has no use for the open file and everyone so far has always given it to her for free…

I feel like I should just give it to her - because looks like I’m losing her as a client anyway - but what would you advise?

Thanks!

Don’t give up, even if it gets hard
I know that’s the hard part
But don’t give up or give in
Especially with something important to you where you want to win
Where you want what you want
I know we don’t always need to get what we want; but don’t give up on what you want
HKBH expects us to stand up for our rights
Even if the battle seems fought, don’t give up the fight
You only win half the battle if the sword is put down too soon
Just like the sun sets and we see the rising moon
Don’t let despair or hopelessness get the better of you
Aren’t you after all a proud Jew?

You can say that this is the industry standard. The files are more than just the design, it is the whole concept, build and add whatever else makes it sound important!!

You can sell her the files but don’t just hand it over for free!

I wasn’t following the whole thread, but I’ll share my quick thoughts- take it or leave it :slight_smile:

Although for the most part it’s great to keep to rules, depending on the situation every rule has room to be broken. Not here to say to start giving stuff for free to anyone that doesn’t want to pay, but trust your gut and do what feels right in this situation.

Sometime’s letting the client off on a positive note is more worthwhile than the few dollars. At the same time you don’t want them taking advantage, but there’s a way to do it.

Hatzlacha with the decision!

3 Likes

Isn’t that precisely the point? She wants the open file in order to give it to another designer to work with - instead of the other designer starting from scratch and charging her for that time? Unless I am not understanding the situation correctly?
You can give it to her just to end off on a positive note, but the client should understand that she is definitely getting a use and monetary gain from the open file and she should therefore be compensating you for that!
She also needs to understand that when she pays for a designer she is paying for design, and for your skills and expertise, not for the files!

yes but as @goldie-mezei sometimes you need to think it through instead of think as a business person. If she’s giving such a hard time it may not be worth pushing for that extra $100+ /-