Dare: can you go beyond your comfort zone?

We’re waiting to hear how you pushed yourself this week!
Read the instructions of DESIGNALIVE DARE on the Designergy newsletter today!!

I’ll go first :slight_smile: I sent an email reaching out to someone that I worked on a large project with about 3 years ago, didn’t hear back from him, but I reached out :slight_smile:

1 Like

This wasn’t part of the options but I asked a client for a 50% deposit even though I felt that sometimes clients get scared away from paying up a lot of money before seeing any of my work.
I thought this client would be one of those who would be wishy washy and back off but BH she paid the deposit right away and I was able to start working on her project almost immediately!

1 Like

This wasn’t really one of the options either, but a client I’ve done work for in the past asked me to do something for them that I have no experience doing. (Totally a design thing, just something I’ve never done before for a live client) I was really nervous to say yes because I’d never done such a thing, so what if I messed up or didn’t do it right? We are in the middle now, and BH it is going really well/she is really happy with the work so far…

1 Like

This is great!! You know how the only way to have a butterfly is through a caterpillar pushing out of the cocoon- Pushing ourselves is never comfortable but it expands us- and out businesses!
Looking forward to hearing who else stepped out of their comfort zone :slight_smile:

I also recently asked for a 50 percent deposit before beginning to work and I’m so glad I did because the project was small and simple and took longer than I expected. The fact that I already had half the project paid for gave me confidence to follow up more aggressively than I would have.

1 Like

Good for you!!
Who else is ready to step out of their comfort zone?

Didn’t date yet… Client wants the open file. I don’t know what to do!

Is it a file they can use again and again or a one time ad that they just want to make small changes to and put out once

Wld love to see the work! Sure its a job well done :slight_smile:

He wants to personalize the brochure with the name and logo of the org and print each one individually.

Let’s think of it this way, How much would you charge him if you were doing that? Is he a client who will come back with other work or it was a once off client?

Hi everyone! I actually did my dare before I was even dared :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: … I had an animated ad that I made for a hw once that I thought could be sold to someone in that field. I had prepared a draft months ago but never sent it. Finally I polished up the email and send it out and that day I get a dare to cold call/email someone!
No one responded but you never know!

Great job Sora! Wait and see… sometimes just at the point that you feel that they wont reply - They do!! and if not, Well done pushing yourself and someone else will want your work!

Hi everyone!
I dared myself to reach out to home inspector in the family and offered to create video for his company that I will hopefully add to my portfolio (I’m pretty new). He didn’t commit yet but sounds interested…

That’s great!!! keep up the wonderful work
(and I hope he’ll say yes! so we can all see the video :slight_smile: )

I did this dare when i was taking the course, so I don’t know if that is counted: For every project in the course i worked on the homework as well as reaching out to random companies to do the same job for them. Many companies I reached out to never responded, but I made sure to find one for each project. I did not charge them for the work but all of them (with the exception of one) ended up using me for further projects. One of the companies I reached out to has turned out into a steady 1 advert a week job!

That’s amazing Sheindy! What a productive (and brave) way to learn!!
I would love to see them!

They are not all on my portfolio, but the Ezra Umarpeh brochure was for brochure design, and Nutri power was for the Logo and corporate identity homework. sheindyweiss.myportfolio.com

@weiss4155 STUNNING!