Clipping mask

I’m trying to create some illustration but am not sure which tool to use.
I have a pattern, see attached, which is basically a mosaic of shapes draws with the pen tool. I want to place that over a complex image and have the image cut out just like the mosaic.
The image will then be used as stickers, sort of like a puzzle

pattern

It’s making a clipping usin one image to be cut into a few shapes at once

HI,
A clipping mask should mask all objects under it; only the object on the top serves as the mask. So you create all your pattern shapes, then you draw your shape on top that will serve as the mask. Select everything and make the clipping mask.
Not so clear from what you wrote, but could it be that you put the objects in the wrong order, with the one that you want to serve as the mask below instead of on top? Also be careful of complexity…the shape that is serving as the mask can only be a single shape, not multiple ones grouped, and it needs to be a closed shape.
Hope that helps, post again if you still have trouble.
BTW, your upload isn’t showing, it has to be less than 500 kb in order to upload.

That’s the issue, what I’m trying to do is create a mask over a complex image…The illustration has to be masked into the pattern
Sample of type of pattern attached

Not sure exactly what you mean still…You want the illustration to show through the pattern, or the pattern to show through the illustration? Your files that you are uploading aren’t showing, make sure it is a jpg and less than 500 kb. Or email to me directly, baylesdesign@gmail.com. If it is really complicated, could be illustrator wouldn’t allow it to be masked, and you might have an easier time importing and doing it in Photoshop, depending on what it will ultimately be used for.

Ok, so I understand I can only mask a picture into one shape. Lets say I want to mask a picture into a few different shapes at once, different parts of the picture. How would I do that, each one separatly??

In Illustrator you would have to make multiple copies of the picture, and then do a separate mask on each picture showing through to a different part. Unless anyone knows of another way, could be there is one in the newest CC version…

Ok that’s what I started to do. This was my question all the way btw.
I’m working on cc2020 and there seems to be no other way

Thank you!

Ok, good, hope it works out!