Best way to set up a catalogue

How would you set up a catalogue, so that I create just the template and leave empty spaces for the client to be able to slot in images and text himself.
Client does not know how to use cc. Is there a way to do this as a word doc
Thank you so much for your help

IMO:

1. Don’t do it! unless you are really desperate for work… and you want to become an expert in Word instead of the Adobe programs…
  2. Keep it really simple where you basically just are giving him the background graphics and boxes all as a background image which you can put as background in Word but warn him it’ll be tricky for him to get in the images and text to size etc… and you cant take responsibility for the result.
  3. It’s not gonna come out so good design-wise anyway if the client puts in images/text so why should he bother hiring a designer bichlal? If he’s that good at Word to do it himself, he can probably make it look nice enough without your design elements. Or he should justhire you to do it properly!

He advertises every so often different products by email. Up untill now he just emailed it out as a list including images on a white background. He wants it to look a little more exciting but does not want to have to pay a designer every single time…
Is there a different way, Should I create an adobe template and show him how to use it? would that work or is it way too difficult?

I really am not looking at the moment to become an expert at word :slight_smile: though I do think I am in the stage where experience is very beneficial for me.
He did want a free sample which I do not offer so he might not end up working with me anyway… just wondering how to go ahead in case he does want to go further…
Side point: do designers offer free samples???

a free sample? not that i have heard of!

I had this once with a client that wanted to put out a weekly newsletter.
In the end we decided that he’d just pay me a set (low) price to plug in the info for him each week.
He now does it bi-weekly. It takes me so quick to lay it out at this point that I am the one that gains.

I think if your looking for experience, then it will be worth it for you to charge very little, enough that hell use you and you’ll gain something, this way he will keep asking you to make changes and he may end up using you for other stuff!

I had a guy ask me to do something for him, I realized after that i charged pennies, but hey, he ended up coming back to me and the next project I charged a nice price. You can always think if this project will help you out in the long run with getting more clients or not… However if he insists on using word I would not do it.

Client wanted more or less a word template, so heeding your advice I DID NOT DO IT :slight_smile: