Advert prices

Hi everyone! Just want to hear everyones opinions on pricing and the difference between countries/ cities.

Im from england and i just got a call from someone regarding an ad and i said i will charge £150 and she was like that is so expensive! but then i see from here that in NY the prices are more like $350!

Im not sure what this post is about (maybe just me venting that i live in England​:see_no_evil::joy:) but cmon is £150 ($180) so much to ask for?? for something that will take me a good 5 hours from start to finish at least!!

Thats not a lot to ask for, as well Ive had ppl tell me thats a lot, they will think about it, and they never got back to me. You cant ring yourself ragid when you are doing graphics for ppl and they dont pay you, your moneys worth.

I work from Israel for US clients and I charge $175-200 at the moment.
For this client though, what about having value-based conversations with clients during the initial call?
You can ask them about why they need this ad now to get a picture of how much value it has for them - do they hope to make $$$ from it? Then they might realize that the price is a fair investment for their goals with the ad.
Also, if they need an informational ad, no concept, maybe not for money-making purposes, can you consider doing a cheaper package, maybe?
Again, only if it makes sense for what you are providing!
Here’s to getting loads of clients that are ready to pay what you are worth!

I’m from Canada and prices here are the same. I can totally relate.
I think prices for services in general are lower over here than in the US. For example a teacher starts out at $15-18 and in New York its more like $25-30 so I think that its fair to base the prices according to your places expectations.
$180 divided by 5 is $36 per hour- I see that as a normal price. (I charge $30 CDN an hour and I’m not a beginner)
Hope you feel validated!

It’s funny - I just had a conversation with someone recently and we were talking about how designers (or really anyone that does a service - be it a shaitel machor, private therapist…etc.) chooses pricing. One thing we agreed on was charging with what you feel comfortable. If you feel confident that your work is polished and professional - then go ahead and charge whatever you want. This person I was schmoozing with knows a personal trainer who charges $150 an hour to train someone and I told her - wow, that’s really expensive - most trainers charge like $65 - $80 an hour. She told me - She’s booked solid and people are willing to pay because she’s an expert in her field. I also know an experience interior designer who charges $150 an hour and $300 just to give paint color ideas - I feel like thats also on the higher end, but she is really busy…
Don’t let people push you around. It’s not worth your time to get underpaid - trust me - I had a really bad experience once where I learnt to be “strict” and not lower my pricing.
I also like to experiment randomly - I used to charge $150 for an ad and then decided that the next person that calls, I’m going to increase my price to $200 (and see if they agree) - Somebody called and was perfectly glad to pay the price…
My nature is to be a “softy” - I feel bad charging people a lot of money but I see from my past experiences that I have to set my feelings aside and charge from a business standpoint. The same goes with knowing people - it’s so hard to give pricing for friends. My immediate family I do small things for free, but for my friends and extended family - it’s definitely hard for me to crack down and make them pay (I still give them a little discount)
Although I just gave you a whole schmooze to keep your pricing and not lower it - if a bunch of people call and think its too expensive - you might have to lower it a drop since you do want to get business still - I guess that’s one of the cons of living out of the USA but don’t fret too much because English people have the cutest accent so you also have a pro to living there :wink:
btw - you are also not limited to English clients - I have worked with some people from England, so you can work with some people from America… (They paid me on PayPal)
Anyways, I hope you have much Hatzlacha in your business endeavors!

Generally keep this in mind:
If everyone says “yes” chances are your prices are too low
and if everyone says “no” chances are your prices are too high

I don’t think $180 sounds like a lot for a poster.
I agree with all Breindy wrote. Be confident in whichever price you are quoting.

You can say “Oh I’m sorry its above what you wanted to spend. This is my pricing. I’m sure you can find a beginner who is trying to gain experience and will do it for less, Wishing you all the best.”
At that point they can turn around and say they dont want a beginner and they’ll pay or they will find someone else.

In Antwerp no one is willing to pay the price for video editing, but i stick to my price cause otherwise its not worth it for me to do it. When people call me and I tell them my price I add that I’m a proff, and only cater to people willing to pay the price. What happened is that i’m not doing small bas mitsvah videos or donno what, but videos for shows and big school productions etc and now I have the name of being “upper class” .

Thanks everyone for your responses! @hadassyf good for you that you managed to stick to your guns!! i’m trying for now and hope I’ll manage…

My biggest point was that in different places there are such different price ranges… I would love to get to the US market but not sure how to get my name out there… Been on LinkedIn but any other ideas??

Reach out to family, businesses, friends abroad offer them a good price like this people will see your stuff, be impressed and hopefully ask you to do some stuff for them.
Most of my work are from people spreading the word and me reaching out to business owners

good idea… problem is i do not like working for family or friends!! its awful when combining business with personal life - had too many bad experiences😣

You can advertise in the US papers that you do graphics.
In Monsey there is the themonseyview.com and thecommunityconnections.com
In Lakewood there is bpweekly.com and the thevoiceoflakewood.com
I can’t think of the main ones for Brooklyn…
You can also advertise in the Ami, Mishpacha, Binah, Yated…etc.
Word of mouth also really works, but ultimately everything is siyata dishmaya.