ADA compliance

HI,

I’ve heard that this is important but honestly, I don’t know too much about it, from what I googled it’s seems vague.

Any practical tips?
Is it something to be really concerned about?

I would love to hear about this too.

It’s not so straightforward :frowning:
Firstly, if you want to learn more about it, you’d look under “accessibility” rather than ADA compliance, and you’ll probably find more relevant tutorials.

It does require specialized knowledge. At the very least, you want to make sure the contrast is high on your designs, font sizes are large enough, etc. There are things coded into the themes and plugins to make it easier for screen readers and keyboard-navigating sites.

Beyond that, it definitely gets more complicated and needs experts to be assured of compliance.

Was just reading a Linkedin post about this by Chaya Fischmann.

Someone posted this helpful link

Thanks! Would you know how important it is for most small companies / organizations?

To be officially ADA compliant you should follow the WCAG (Website Content Accessibility Guidelines) which you can read here. For a small business just follow the basics (alt tags, text shouldn’t be too small, links/buttons should be recognizable, etc). Implementing all the guidelines is not usually done for a small business unless the client wants it, and you would charge extra for that.

Thank you!

Is it something you would discuss with clients at all? what about past clients?
@peninah_adler @malka

I can’t write out everything right now, but in short, a) I’m far from an expert, and b) YES, I do always bring it up with clients. It’s in my contracts, because I need to remove responsibility. I explain the basics of what it is and the fact that technically one could get sued (afaik it’s VERY rare for a small business to get sued, or a medium-sized one, too. Businesses getting sued mostly are monoliths). If compliance is important, we will bring in an expert and get that scoped independently.

I really appreciate your comprehensive response!

Hi,

I found this free plugin that I started placing on every website - basically a toolbar.
“One-click Accessibility” Some clients don’t mind others don’t want it cause it’s too in your face.

Any other free options?

Why do you use it on every website? I thought you only need this if you “collect” data?

Ada = accessibility. You’re thinking of GDPR :slight_smile:

Sarah, I checked the plugin and I see they offer a few things that can easily be done with design (enough contrast), and some things that are in many quality themes (skip links). They have other things but do you know what your theme already has? Maybe check and compare and see what’s left that you actually still need.

What does one actually have to do for ADA?

ok thanks, I can do that. I just feel that it’s “safer” to have the toolbar.
@peninah_adler Do you add anything or just design accordingly?

I hear that! You could still use a plugin, but if you compared, you’d at least know what you need the plugin to provide, and you might have more free options.

I don’t add anything. I use Genesis and it has skip links and I made sure my nav is navigable by keyboard and I try to make sure things like accordions are also. I add alt tags and use a contrast checker if I think it might be an issue. I use fluid typography with rem base and I think that’s fine for ADA. That’s about it, I think. I’m not saying that’s amazing :slight_smile: it’s just what I do. I tell clients if they want more, we’ll bring in an outside expert.