Preview pane

Is there any way to be able to view adobe program files in the preview pane? Or view the content in the icon itself like word docs and pdfs? So I shouldn’t have to open the document if I want to check what it is…

ooh, I’m curious about this too.
you should be able to view illustrator files in the preview pane.

That’s what Adobe Bridge is for.
You can open it and preview files without opening any of them up!

Oh! and i’m wondering how come adobe didn’t discover how to do it yet… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

On a Mac it works to preview Adobe program files… so they have figured it out :slight_smile:

Yes, bridge is amazing for viewing and sorting files, check it out.

I just label my files so I know what’s what… but if I have a time where I made a bunch of options or drafts and it got confusing I open it as a regular pdf first. All my files are saved as AI or PS pdf files.

You don’t save as AI or PSD, only as PDF? Or do you save both?

I only save as a pdf in that program. I remember @adinacahn said pdfs are lighter files than saving as a regular AI or PSD.
Anyone else do the same?

I also generally only save as a PDF that preserves editing capabilities

jumping in now, PDF with capabilities will have the same function and I find it lighter, easier etc to store. Adobe Bridge will allow you to see what’s what in the file- its a very user friendly program.

Following. This is interesting. How does Bridge work? You just use it to view the file? or actually save it in there?

So I should only be saving my files as pdfs, not keeping the original AI or PSD version? (If I preserve editing capabilities)
How does Bridge work?

If you save as pdfs, files take up less space and can be previewed in file explorer.
You can download Adobe Bridge, which is like file explorer, but lets you preview lots of different file types, plus has lots of sorting/filtering/rating and other settings you might find useful, depending on what you do…

Why is it actually that the PDF’s take up less place? If it retains the same information as the open AI/PSD files, what makes it lighter? :thinking:
Also, doesn’t that mean that when you send the client a PDF, they are getting an open file? Or does everyone go into their files and uncheck preserve editing capabilities before sending files to clients?

I usually uncheck, or add a password to restrict editing, because otherwise clients can edit the pdf.
Depending on the job obviously, because once a client has paid for files you might not mind if they can edit it.

I do find that when saving files as pdf’s, it isn’t same quality. i usually save all work to a drive soi don’t care how much space it takes up.

also sending a pdf to client is an open file.
but if you did a logo/branding then thats good, so they will always have a editable vector.

other work depends… i don’t usually mind sending pdf’s.

Illustrator files won’t lose quality if saved as pdf

When sending the file to a client, if I’m sending a pdf, I’ll resave and label the file for them and restrict editing capabilities. For myself though, I keep it checked