Selecting Hair

Does anyone have any resources to truly master the skill of selecting hair? especially when the background is not a solid color.

Did you try using the select subject and then click select and mask and use the edge detection brush? This has worked for me in the past…

1 Like

There is a way to make fine selections by using channels, quite interesting. You could probably google a tutorial, I am travelling now but will try to remember to post one when I get back.

thanks so much! its always on my to do list of something I want to learn better:)… I have to watch this a few more times I think…but I dont remember learning about channels in the self paced classes… am I missing something big - doing graphics without it all these years?

Can also use the select and mask function, which is the method generally used in the computer graphics classes and probably more standard. The Channels method is neat and interesting, but works best in certain situations, based on the concept of alpha channels as selections.

Channels will only work if the hair is a strong contrasting color to the background. If its brown hair on a black background it would not work so well. Alyse correct me if I’m wrong, channels were the method we used before the select and mask/refine edge function was available, which is why we dont go through that in the course anymore. Though we do show channels with alpha channels to isolate.
I’d go the route of select and mask and adjust your tolerance settings to get better results

Yes, Adina, it is true that channels were more useful before using select and mask. Still could work well in some situations though, but you are right that it is most useful when there is strong contrast. THanks for clarifying.

so there’s no way to really get a perfect selection/cut out of lets say blonde curls on a not solid colored light background… ?

there is through select and mask and refining it
You can try the “hair” option in the select and mask as well