FTP / unmanaged hosting

I apologize in advance for not using the correct terms.

I asked my client for her hosting information and she gave me the FTP login information. And some company (MapleTime) that they purchased the hosting from…basically not something familiar at all like GoDaddy, BlueHost, etc.

Has anyone ever set up a WordPress site using hosting like this or does everyone have their client’s switch over to a proper hosting provider? I’d prefer to not spend time setting up a new hosting account etc. so if it’s possible to set up her WordPress site using her current hosting plan I’d love to do so. Just this type of hosting plan is not something I’m familiar with and wondering what the next steps would be. Thanks!

It’s fine to stick with the current hosting so long as the following are true:

1. It’s a Linux server
  2. They have an installer so you can install WP from the hosting dashboard
  3. They use cPanel or something similar so that you can easily access anything you need

I include in my contracts that if they are using a non-recommended hosting provider, if there are issues with the hosting , that is billed hourly. I make sure to discuss that point with clients if relevant. You can do that right now, even if it’s not in a contract.