Font size

when creating a half or quarter page advert for a client, how small can the text be? For example - half page ad that the client wants all contact info and opening times on a bar at the bottom.

my 2 cents:
i always try not to go below 6pt but this depends on the font - you can print it or view it as actual size to check its readable. white text on a dark background should be larger/bolder b/c often it doesn’t get printed as clearly… make sure it’s going in a quality printed advertiser/magazine. newspapers may be less sharp as inks get absorbed more.
i try and do 8-12pt for ‘small text’ if you want it to be read comfortably.

size is 128mm x 180mm. the font is 7.1. would you change it in this case to be slightly larger? if so should i tighten the leading? or make the bar wider? Thank you so much

i think that looks good as it is. when you view pdf at 100% is it easily readable?

i would make your email much smaller… there i do break the rule of less than 6pt :slight_smile: or at least it should be smaller than any other text on the page.

I will change my email to 6. Thank you so much for your help

sure :slight_smile: looks good!

I think you can actually go down to 4pt sometimes when it is not such important info… but it also depends on the target market! always remember that older viewers might need glasses to even read 6pt… i made an ad once i could read perfectly, but then i showed it to my father and he couldnt read it without glasses and he’s not that old! so shouldve thought about that…

yup that’s a great point malky about bearing in mind the target audience!

thank you very much. You are all the most amazing tutors.

1 Like